The new year is upon us. I know everyone has been busy for the holiday’s and of all people I’ve been busy as well. I think December was the busiest month of all for me this year. As I was sitting down to recap the 2011 year and formulating a plan for 2012 I realized how much of an impact/success I had in 2011. I can only imagine how much better 2012 can be!
As some of you may or may not know personal growth is a huge thing for me as I think it should be for everyone. I attended a conference down in LA called the New Years Mental Cleanse that was put on Byron Katie. Let me tell you I don’t think my brain has been more cleansed ever before. The reason I bring Byron Katie up is that I think her work “The Work” could be useful to EVERYONE. I’m currently in talks with Katie to see if she would be willing to hold a specific LGBT event. I’m hopeful that I can get Katie to host such an event, but if not I know I will be successful at getting her support in putting together a workshop to share her work with everyone. I encourage everyone to check out Katie’s website at http://thework.com, her work has forever changed my life!
So what are your plans for 2012? Do you have or need an accountability partner? For me accountability has been a challenge at different points in my life. Ever write something down on your New Years Resolution list like “Keep finances on track to buy a new home in 20XX”? Well I’ve been there, done that and still don’t have my house. With that said I’m calling 2012 the year of Accountability. I’m willing to help 2 or 3 people keep on track with their 2012 goals thru monthly telephone, Skype or e-mail or even in person meetings. I say I can only take on 2 – 3 people as I don’t want to over commit myself. I was thinking if we can each take on 2 or 3 friends to help them monthly to keep on track just think of how much more positive of an outcome we can have for 2012 as a whole! I think the key to making this work would be to keep the Resolutions / Goals simple and obtainable within your means. I have some guide lines below let me know what you think.
- Meet in person once a month with your accountability partner
- Skype, e-Mail, Phone conversations could be a backup method.
- Meeting Locations : Starbux, Revue, Library, Lunch, Teazer’s
- Exchange 5 – 10 goals you would like to keep on track with for the 2012 year
- Keep goals online via Google Docs, Dropbox or just plain e-Mail
- Agree how often reminders should be sent between each other
- Weekly, Bi-Monthly, Monthly
- Clearly define the terms of engagement to not offend one another.
- If you are not on track, what are the consequences if any?
- If things between you and your accountability partner are not working, what is the exit strategy.
- If you are tired of being reminded about a certain task how do you ask your accountability partner to back down without offending them?
Happy New Year!